Monday, September 15, 2008

Can you Kennicott?






Most people fly from Anchorage out to the tiny abandoned copper mining town of Kennicott. They stay in a nice hotel that locals built before the National Park Service took over the area. We took the road. I now understand why most people fly. However, people run there since there was a race the day we visited. I was able to go on a tour of the old mill that separates the limestone from the copper. With exposed views 12 stories up on the edge of a steep hill down to a glacier and narrow steep stairs, this was not for the faint of heart. Trusting that the National Park Service wouldn't want us to die, I enjoyed wandering down the old weathered building.
But in the end, I was glad to be home in my basement with my cat curled up on my legs.

Click here for the full slideshow of the trip's pictures.