Monday, March 9, 2009

Coffee: A sub-culture


I would like to take a moment to recognize all the magnificent sub-cultures that make up our communities. Comic book and Star Trek conventions always come to mind. Those would also be interesting to tag along to. This weekend the United States Barista Championship was held in Portland. I initially only went because I had friends volunteering to bus the competitors' tables. In the end, the intensity involved in completing the required 12 shots cooly and uniquely while sweat poured down their bearded faces me over. O.K. so not everyone had facial hair and there were some women, but there were a disproportionate number of beautiful beards. I am sure that few there would agree with me on this, but to me the judge of good coffee is whether it requires sweetening to to be absolutely delicious. The one of the lattes that passed this test this weekend was from a new shop called Barista. The other was from a machine set up for current and past contestants to serve everyone that attended. Additionally, I also enjoyed each barista's 15 minute soundtrack to their presentation.